Sunday, April 15, 2007

But Who Will Kick Dirt on My Stools?

Returned my brothers dog to her home this weekend. I think she missed a 3-story house with a fenced-in back yard and 3 kids that tend to drop a lot of their food on the floor. Still, she seemed to enjoy her stay in town. Of my 1927 building's 10 units, 3 now have dogs and only 2 have cats. They're not big places but apparently if you can get home to let the dog out at lunch they don't mind feeling cramped. I tried to take the suburban cocker spaniel for a run on the Freedom Park jogging trail but she stopped dead to smell every other dog's markings making for a glacial pace.

I've never owned a pet. I've watched, fed and temporarily housed many but never sought one for myself. Is it the fear of responsibility? The cost of vet bills, food and those annoying little sweaters? Some warped inner voice that thinks I don't even deserve a cocker spaniel's love? Nah. It's just that that "shake hands" trick gets pretty old after 2 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home