Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Road Trip to Athens

Our pal Pete McBrayer out in Athens wrote to remind me and "my cronies" that the fun little show he runs at Flicker is monthly. The bar has a classic movie theme and the show sports a refreshingly quirkier vibe than most in Atlanta. Even wrestler/comic Shane "Canadian Shiek" Mackey and bouncer/comic Mason Jenkins--my cronies last time--enjoyed the creative but unpretentious hipster vibe. The next show is March 18th and I'm scrounging up a carpool now.

Pete's also justly proud of his younger brother Jack. The 30 Rock star now featured in Mariah Carey's latest video:


My first job after a panic-stricken attempt at Grad School was at a warehouse in South Dekalb. They piped Lite Rock station B 98.5 in through the speakers as a compromise between the various urban, rock and country station factions. I became quite familiar with Ms. Carey's more mainstream oeuvre--especially "Love Takes Time" which always followed Billy Ocean's "Get Out of My Dreams, Get Into My Car" every afternoon about 2:15.

This new track looks a bit risque for non-threatening workplace background music, but maybe they'll sneak it in just before the Friday 5 O'clock Whistle. Still, it's nice to see a local boy make good.

My own brother once met Dottie West.

1 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, me. Takes me back to my own freight dock, where my fellow clerks took box cutters to their wrists to the accompaniment of Celine Dion's "Power of Love". Where are the snows of yesteryear?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home