Saturday, May 17, 2008

Suggested Writing Assignments

For Bill Taft's most recent Another Evening With the Garbagemen spoken word night there were two:

  1. Write an “artist’s statement” about your work.
  2. Write a supershort story using the first line “I had no idea it was gonna burn that fast.”
I chose the second and wrote this:

I had no idea it was gonna burn that fast.
It took longer to find a clean CD-R than it took to render the whole Requiem--a favorite by Fauré foraged from the library.
A
n illicit copy was so easy to obtain--ripped and returned a full week before its due date.
The Pie Jesu runs four minutes but burned in less than one—“Compassionate Christ” compressed in a clip.
And now its gentle grieving is mine to mourn at my leisure--from Introit to In Paradisum.
May God forgive my crime.

3 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Given your workout schedule, I thought you might begin like this:

"I had no idea it was gonna burn that fast. After the first hundred crunches, my glutes were on fire."

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Brian Bannon said...

I'd be curious to read your artist's statement sometime. I bet it involves the cleansing power of fire.

At my last toastmasters a guy gave a "humorous anecdote" speech about always burning his toast.

Zarathustra also spoke.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It was either go with the fire or some kind of Ben-Gay reference, and I didn't want to work blue. For a change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home