Sunday, July 08, 2007

And the Day After That

My never-filmed short film about poetic justice inspired by the life of George Wallace.

EXT. A WHITE-COLUMNED PUBLIC BUILDING IN AN UNNAMED SOUTHERN STATE – 1963 AFTERNOON

The Governor is standing in the doorway and addressing a crowd.

GOVERNOR

I’m standing here today to take a stand for segregation. And as long as I can stand, I’ll be standing up for segregation. I say segregation today, segregation the next day, and segregation the day after that!

(Crowd Cheers)

Now what do ya say I do the Segregation Two Step? Hit it boys.

Country music plays. The Governor begins to dance.

GOVERNOR

(Singing) Segregation is the way

Segregation’s here to stay

Let’s all stay segregated

Nyaaaoooww!

CUT TO:

INT. OFFICE – 1987

An older Governor is now in a wheelchair.

GOVERNOR

I regret some of the things I said. But it was a different time. I am proud that as Governor I introduced free textbooks to our public schools.

EXT. POLITICAL RALLY – 1967 AFTERNOON

GOVERNOR

The Jews ain’t right. Some of these pointy-headed intellectuals in Washington are trying to tell us that the Jews are o.k. Well they’re not o.k. They’re Jews. And I swear by my right arm that they’re not o.k. And I’ll arm wrestle anyone who thinks otherwise right here and right now!

CUT TO:

INT. OFFICE – 1988

The Governor is in a wheelchair and is missing his right arm from above the elbow.

GOVERNOR

It was a different time.

The Governor adjusts his glasses with his stump.

Some of the positions I took were obviously wrong and I regret them now. But did you know that during my tenure as Governor our state capital was the first in the South to become wheelchair accessible?

CUT TO:

INT. POLITICAL RALLY – 1975

The Governor is at a podium.

GOVERNOR

Homosexuality is an abomination before God. Anybody with two good eyes can see that!

CUT TO:

INT. OFFICE – 1990

The Governor now wears an eye patch under thicker glasses.

GOVERNOR

Well now I still believe that. But I bear no ill will towards anybody. Hate the sin; love the sinner I always say. This here’s my best friend.

The camera pulls back to reveal the Governor’s male nurse seated a few feet away. The nurse is an African-American man wearing a tank top, ear ring, and yarmulke.

He’s my best friend. He takes me everywhere…. To the doctor…and back….

As the Governor talks about and points to his nurse, the nurse gets up, slowly walks to the Governor’s chair, moves the chair about an inch, and awkwardly returns to his seat.

… My best friend.

THE END

1 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger maryk said...

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home