Monday, May 26, 2008

Draggin' My Nuckles

This Saturday marks my return to burlesque. Syrens of the South--a more recent addition to Atlanta's ever-burgeoning burlesque scene--will present a night of dancers through the ages interspersed by comedians stuck in time. I'm to play a 70s lounge comic.

After Bill Murray's lounge singer, Andy Kaufman's Tony Clifton and the new hipster fav Neil Hamburger, it's a little hard to find a new take on the smarmy creep.

I'll likely slick my hair back and wear a loud shirt buttoned only to the navel--nothing innovative there. But after one of my own overwritten dick jokes--the Agnes Scott bit!--I might segue into a brief reflection on the appeal and the emptiness of the swinger life. It's that still-vulgar but ham-fistedly lyrical style I like to think is my "mature" period.

Or maybe I'll just wear a funny wig and fall down.

There'll also be puppets, a guy doing Jesus as a stand-up and plenty o' pasties.

2 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm. I wonder how the burlesque fans are going to feel about the swinger's life? I'm thinking a thoughtful ambivalence, much like yours. Well played, Mister Bannon.

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Brian Bannon said...

How's this for a name: Frankie Prado.

Or Rod Hunspeth?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home